Monday, April 11, 2011

April's ornament and activity

I made this little nest for this month's ornament.....you'll need to click on the picture to enlarge it....then you can see the detail. The nest itself is about 3.5 inches across.

I wanted it to look camouflaged like a real nest would. I first crocheted the nest using 2 types of yarn held together.
Then I wove in beads, tinsel, embroidery thread, feathers, scraps of muslin and even tufts of rug fiber.


I whip stitched it around a pretty branch I found covered in lichen.
I really LOVE it. This photo doesn't show how pretty it is!



then I used some teeny wooden eggs and painted them to go in it.



and put it on display in our foyer.


I also made a nesting material bag with some crochet string and filled it up with dryer lint, yarn and feathers.

I hung it on the fence where birds tend to sit between feeding and taking baths....I haven't seen them use it though........


2 comments:

Little Messy Missy said...

Very beautiful!!!

jillytacy said...

Very creative! Looks like a nest any bird would love! I like the pearls and clear tinsel mixed in.