Saturday, April 18, 2015

April's challenge: hothouse!


"Cherub Pod Hot Houses!"

Our family loves tomatoes and we eat all types all year long.  Lately we've been eating Cherubs brand in these cute little pods.



When empty, they look like little mini terrariums.   



I hated throwing them away so decided to use them to start some sunflowers for Kaela...they are her FAVORITE flower and I just can't seem to grow them.  


So here's how I did it....






I took some coffee filters and cut them to size.



and stuffed them down into each pod so soil wouldn't fall out the holes.





Then I filled each with a little soil and mixed in some seeds and watered them ALOT...had to let the water drain!


Then, I covered each pod with plastic wrap to create a little hot house



And set them on the warmest window ledge in the house.



In less than 8 days, I had to uncover them!  I loosened the wrap so you can see but left it on lightly because the window gets chilly at night.  



Once they got too tall for the pod, I replanted them into
a pot on the patio.  




These worked so well, I did the same thing with 2 more varieties of sunflower.   I didn't even bother putting these on the ledge in the house.



They've also been transplanted and are thriving!