Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ideas and bird feeding...

I wanted to do something really unique and creative (well, I always want to do something unique and creative, that's my problem, a ton of ideas and not enough time). The instant Valerie posted the theme this month, I started thinking, and thinking and thinking...shortly after the New Year, I had an AHA! idea that I thought would be SO CUTE and SO FUN to make. I already have a few prototypes going. But then...Val posted her tutorials post. One of the posts gave me the idea to look up on Etsy my idea and what do ya know...someone had already thought of it, BUT...it's not quite the same...MY design is different...and honestly, I think I like my design better. Well, that's all I can say about that super secret crafty bit. I know....the suspense...what on earth am I talking about...what could it be?? Soon, my enchanting friends, soon! But first tell the rest of us what enchanting ideas you all have been having... :)

As far as feeding the birdies go...I've been feeding them all winter long already. I take all our stale breads, crackers, cookies, bagels, goldfish, pretzels, granola bar and other dry bread-like goods (I know, not exciting, but it gets eaten, even by the resident squirrel) to the back end of the back yard where I have a wood platform for them. My neighbors (an older retired couple) provide a TON of housing/nesting spots for them, so, birds are not in short supply in my backyard. The only sad part about my neighbor providing his own little population of birds is that we frequently receive a bird upon our front or back porch via kitty-claw-mail. I feel bad, but it's a cats instinct, so what can I do other than feel honored that my cat wants to provide us with a gift. :) Below is the latest bird treat we provided them with...we "deconstructed" our Christmas gingerbread house by removing ALL the candy gum drops, candy canes and other extra sweet treats that I didn't think they would want and this was what was left.
I think they're enjoying it, it's almost gone! As soon as I read that we should do a random act of kindness, my first idea was buying the next person in line at Starbucks (while in the drive through, gotta remain anonymous), their coffee. This past summer the car in front of me actually bought my coffee...it just made my day!! So, I have chosen this as my RAOK and as soon as I go through the drive-thru at Starbucks again, I'll be doing just that.

I can't wait to hear from the rest of you! Good night!

2 comments:

Yarni Gras! said...

What a terrific idea! I would never have thought of deconstructing the gingerbread house. But it is a wonderful treat for the birds. I hope you posted that on your OWN blog too!

I am in total suspense as to what you are creating your partner!!!!

Jeanne said...

A Great idea! Maybe even an idea for the Grandkids to make next year for the Holidays ....a gingerbread house for the birds! :0)